How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31731
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My tenant is two months behind in his rent and he called me

Customer Question

My tenant is two months behind in his rent and he called me this morning to tell me the A/C isn't working.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: AZ
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Thanks.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I ask the tenant to pay for the repairs?
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

It is possible that if you refuse to make the repairs, the tenant can pay the cost of repair and take it off of the rent that is due. Here's a good link you can read:

The above link also has a link to the laws on this issue about midway down the page.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

However, it would be best if you can reach an agreement with the landlord to do this and put it in writing to protect both of you.

Related Real Estate Law Questions