How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3630
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on title as a joint tenant. My former partner and

Customer Question

I am on title as a joint tenant. My former partner and co-title holder now lives in South Africa and we want to separate our interest in the residential house. I am living here now with my new partner and the former partner wants to keep title separately but is unable to buy me out. What are my options to a)stop her from being the beneficiary in the case of my death and severing the joint title situation.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ca
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: WE--my current partner and I --are willing to purchase the half interest held at a fair market price.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. I am happy to speak with you, but by no means are you required to accept it.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

You have a couple of options here:

1. You could change the deed such that it does not show that you are joint tenants with right of survivorship. You can change the deed by making yourselves co-tenants without right of survivorship. This means that if you die, your property will go to your personal interest.

2. You could buy the other person out for a price that you deem reasonable.

3. You could encourage the other party to simply give you a quitclaim titling the house to you directly (I'm sure this is less likely, but still an option).

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Related Real Estate Law Questions