How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 30365
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you be sued for subletting after lease is done? My lease

Customer Question

Can you be sued for subletting after lease is done?
My lease says I can't sublease my apartment. My apartment manager told me through text messages that it was okay, so I did. My lease is now done.
My security deposit check came back late, over the 21 days it was supposed to be returned in, and with deductions. I know that since it is late, they can't take out deductions. My apartment manager refuses to give me my landlord's number so I can't contact them about this. I told him I would take them to court if I can't contact them, and he came back at me with the subleasing ordeal.
Can they really come back at me with the sublease, even though I have written permission to sublease?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There are two parts to every lawsuit - liability and damages. If you sublet the apartment when you weren't allowed, but the sub-tenant paid the rent each month, the landlord has not been legally damaged. You could be liable for any damage your subtenant caused to the apartment (although you could sue them directly), but your landlord can't hold your deposit solely because you sublet.

A landlord does not automatically forfeit the deposit if the itemized list of damages is not sent within 21 days. Cal. Civ. Code, Section 1950.5. However, not sending the notice is evidence of bad faith. A landlord who withholds a tenant's deposit in bad faith could be liable to the tenant for three times the deposit.

If you sue, the landlord has the burden of proving that the withholding was justified. Withholding your deposit because you sublet when you weren't supposed to is also bad faith if the sublet didn't cause the landlord any financial harm.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

If the apartment manager is refusing to let you talk to the landlord, you can sue the manager directly and "John Doe." John Doe represents the landlord. That will allow you to amend the Complaint once they give you the landlord's name.

The other option is to give them a choice: they can repay your money now, or they can pay you three times the amount they kept in court. Most landlords will pick option (a) because the law is not on their side.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lucy, thanks so much for your help. So I have the check that they sent me after deductions, 47 days after my move out. When I decide to go ahead and file a claim, I'm going to guess that I should not cash this check? (I've never done anything like this before, please forgive me).
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

You're allowed to cash the check and sue for the part they didn't send you, as long as there isn't any language on the check or in the enclosed letter that says something like "By cashing this check, you agree to waive any and all claims..."

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Or if it said "paid in full" on the memo line.

But then you could write "without prejudice" above your signature to protect your right to sue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just to clarify, when you say I can sue for three times the amount of the deposit? Or the deductions?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Three times the amount they kept that they shouldn't have.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any questions about this?