Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My question pertains to exclusive right to sell contract…

Customer Question
My question pertains to exclusive...
My question pertains to exclusive right to sell contract (real estate) in Massachusetts. I signed the contract March 29, 2017 to sell my house. I have the listing terms. The expiration date I thought is June 28, 2017. When I used a microscope it reads 2018. I want the contract to expire because zero has been done for me. Should I contact an attorney or let it be? Should I assume they might not know their mistake? Or should I write a letter stating I don't want to continue the contract? I apologize, when I converted the PDF to word, the date wasn't as tiny as on the original. Betsey Hallihan
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/13/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Does the contract have any clause in it for early termination? Have you spoken with them bout why nothing has been done since it was signed, in March?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, yes there is withdrawal from market but not early termination. I just emailed the broker for a copy of the contract, I asked what could be done to enhance the appeal. Her response was to lower the price. Yeh, it's been shown approx. 10 times. This is the time for buyers and the market in this area is the New York City weekenders. I asked for new pictures, believing the expiration is June 28. In the form the date filled in for expiration is __/__/__ The numbers are so small (font size 4-6) and not lined up with the slash marks. One slash covers the year except a little of the 8. The rest of the form is filled in and clear.

What was your intent when speaking with them? By that, I mean the intent of the parties for the time? Was this ever discussed? Did you believe it was only a 3 month exclusive listing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
a three month, 90 days is the normal time. I want a legal opinion about a date on the contract that nobody can read. I have asked a few people and the answer is no. I want out of this on June 28. Betsey Hallihan

Thank you for the reply. If the contract was prepared by the listing agent and it is not written clearly, so that all parties are on notice and it would appear that they may have done this to mislead or hide the ending date, you could have a basis to try and void the contract. Moreover, the Judge would look at the intent of the parties. If a 3 month exclusive listing agreement is standard and this is for 15 months, it would seem odd and not to convey what the expected time for representation was, based upon the industry. The font should be the same size or larger, then the rest of the font and NOT smaller and it needs to be legible, since it is a material term. If it is not, you could testify to the same and that the drafter of the agreement tried to mislead and hide this from you and that it was never the intent nor even reasonable, for a 15 month exclusive listing agreement.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!