Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

What is a no cause eviction? If I am in a month to month

that and the landlord decides...
What is a no cause eviction? If I am in a month to month that and the landlord decides not to rent to me because she wants to Renovote and increase her rental income can. She do that and what are my rights
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Salem Oregon Marion County
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No she brought a real est.ate agent to look at the house
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No my biggest question is what defines a no cause eviction
6/12/2017
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. A no cause eviction is why a landlord simply wants to end/terminate a month to month lease agreement. The landlord does not need any reason for it and can simply end the tenancy and terminate the tenancy, with the proper notice. In this case, if the landlord wants to proceed and renovate and increase their rental income, they can end your tenancy and if you fail to vacate, proceed with an eviction.

In Oregon we have a no cause eviction law that passed does that mean she cannot ask me to leave
If she wants to renovate and increase her rental income is that considered a valid cause and not a no cause

Yes. The landlord has a right to improve the property and obtain more rental income, if the market will allow it. If doing the renovations will allow this, they can do so and they do not have to continue to earn less from the property, then they desire.

I have no ground for a no cause eviction and I have to be given notice. Can you tell me if it's 30 60 or 90 days?

Yes. If the tenant has been there for more then a year, a 60 day notice would need to be given and if less then a lease, a 30 day notice.

3)If a tenancy is a month-to-month tenancy:

(a)At any time during the tenancy, the tenant may terminate the tenancy by giving the landlord notice in writing not less than 30 days prior to the date designated in the notice for the termination of the tenancy.

(b)At any time during the first year of occupancy, the landlord may terminate the tenancy by giving the tenant notice in writing not less than 30 days prior to the date designated in the notice for the termination of the tenancy.

(c)At any time after the first year of occupancy, the landlord may terminate the tenancy by giving the tenant notice in writing not less than 60 days prior to the date designated in the notice for the termination of the tenancy.

OK thank you and it has to be in writing
Also it has to have dates on it?

Yes, it needs to be in writing and have a date on it, by which the tenant needs to vacate the rental. You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RealEstateAnswer
One more thing. She gave me a notice on June 7 saying it's without cause and i have to vacate July 7. What should my response to her be?
The notice would need to be given prior to when the rent is paid. For example if you pay on the first of the month the notice to vacate would have had to been at the end of April
Does it matter that it says no cause given eviction?

It does not appear the Senate voted on this to put it in place, so unless and until it happens it is not a law in effect right now, so the notice could be deemed proper.

RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer