Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Seeking a real estate attorney in RE: Property Easements. My…

Customer Question
Seeking a real estate attorney...
Seeking a real estate attorney in Washington RE: Property Easements. My neighbors are asking me to sign a legal document, well utility company is technically, for a easement and right of way before they will agree to connect power to the new home my neighbors plan to build. I have spoken with utility company and they have informed me that I am not required to do this and I am not sure it would be in wise to grant this easement. My neighbors have started pressuring me into getting the documents back so that they can move forward with building of there home and are frustrated that its all on hold until I sign off on the documents. The document also mentions including joint users, a non-exclusive, perpetual easement all of this I am totally unfamiliar with and uncomfortable signing these forms without fully understanding what I am signing. I am concerned about any potential ramifications, such as building another home, developing or dividing, and etc. My preference is to not have any ties to another property if all possible. My neighbors also mentioned since its a utility easement and not a driveway top easement, this will not affect my property value? I also understand they may be bias to this situation and would like someone who is in legal field to advise.Other information that may be helpful:
These are 2, 5 acres parcels that at one time were joined, they were later divided equally. I bought my 5 acres and they later purchased the other 5 acres.
To my knowledge no easements exists currently and my neighbors existing home is connected to the same power source as I am that is located on my property.
My neighbors were given an alternative to hook up at the street, that will cost them money
The utility company or the contractors have to dig a trench on my property due to where my neighbors plan on building their new home.
Neighbors have offered 1000.00 to sign the document for the utility company.I also would like to know what the law is for building a something close to the fence line that divide the property or where I might find that information? Thanks
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 10 months ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Stephenie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs.

I have been a licensed, litigation attorney for more than 30 years, and I handle real estate matters . What you are asking for is all but impossible to respond to adequately in this written format, and in my experience is only practical to approach in a phone conversation.

As soon as I post this message, the site will offer you a phone call option. After you click on the call option I can accept your call and call you right away.

Doug

Tina, Lawyer