Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If HOA by-laws regarding exterior maintenance have changed…

If HOA by-laws regarding...

If HOA by-laws regarding exterior maintenance have changed since the HOA re-sided my unit (to now the exterior is the responsibility of the unit owners), and I am having problems with that siding, do they have any responsibility?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We have inquired about their responsibility, we have water issues inside the unit.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

An insurance adjuster has been out to help with interior problem, the siding in question is Hardee-Board and we have very good reason to believe it was put up wrong, and without a contract while our unit was being redsided.

5/31/2017
socrateaser, Lawyer

Virginia law treats a homeowners association's controlling documents (covenants and bylaws) as a contract between members and the association. The issue here is whether or not you reasonably purchased your property under the assumption that the association would be liable for the exterior of the property, and that the association's modification was without your consent.

This is actually a very difficult contract law question of fact, which almost certainly would require litigation to resolve. There is case law in Virginia of a similar case (Robinson-Huntley v. THE ASSOCIATION, 756 S.E.2d 415, 287 Va. 425 (2014)) -- but, the case only shows the difficulty in resolving this sort of legal issue.

The bot***** *****ne is that a jury could rule either way on the issue, and that should make a negotiated settlement the preferable solution for both you and the association -- given that litigation could cost far more than the needed repairs.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer