Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

We are considering a reverse mortgage. Our present mortgage…

We are considering a reverse...
We are considering a reverse mortgage. Our present mortgage loan is in my name only but the deed is in both myself and my wife. My question is how would that work as I have read the property is to be turned over when the last borrower leaves the [property ?
5/29/2017
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Can you clarify what you are asking when you want to know how it works? Do you mean how a reverse mortgage works?

IF I AM THE ONLY ONE ON THE LOAN, DOES THE HOUSE HAVE TO BE TURNED OVER TO THE BANK WHEN I PASS OR CAN MY WIFE STAY IN THE HOUSE UNTIL SHE PASSES?

Thank you and please allow me a moment

You wife could be protected. HUD policy now states that for FHA-backed reverse mortgages issued on or after August 4, 2014, the non-borrowing spouse may remain in the home after the HECM borrower dies (and the loan repayment will be deferred) so long as:

• the non-borrowing spouse is married to the borrower at the time of the loan closing (and remains married to the borrower for the duration of the borrower's lifetime)
  • their spousal status is disclosed at the time of the closing
  • the non-borrowing spouse is named in the loan documents
  • the non-borrowing spouse has occupied, and continues to occupy, the property securing the HECM as his/her principal residence
  • the non-borrowing spouse establishes legal ownership (or another ongoing legal right to remain in the home) within 90 days of the death of the last surviving borrower, and
  • the non-borrowing spouse meets all of the obligations described in the loan documents. (See HUD Mortgagee Letter 2014-07.)

If the non-borrowing spouse fails to meet any of the requirements, the loan becomes due and payable.

RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer