Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If the condo association bills the monthly maintenance fees…

Customer Question
If the condo association bills...
If the condo association bills the monthly maintenance fees quarterly, but I want to pay monthly, the associations charges me 10% late fee. it that legal... I am not behind in any payments; however, it is difficult for me to come with the quarterly payment, and the payments are based on a monthly basis
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/24/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 1 year ago
retireddebra

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Real Estate Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 1 year ago

I am sorry to hear this.

It is legal if you are not paying the full amount by the due date.

So you cannot pay monthly and not get charge the interest if you are behind.

Maybe it makes sense to save the monthly payments in a separate account and then pay them quarterly?

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't sound right to me...even I'm submitting the proper monthly payment, bt for their convenience they bull quarterly.
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

I am a different Attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you. The Condominium Association is bound by the governing documents for the Association. These documents are considered a contract between the owner and the association.

Do you have a copy of your association's governing documents?

It does not sound right to me either. I would be curious to know what is stated in your governing documents.

Can you answer my question? If not let me know and I will opt out for another Attorney to assist you.