Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am in a community that has establish an HOA; however, we

Customer Question

Hello, I am in a community that has establish an HOA; however, we do not have an official HOA board. When we first started the HOA we had a board but the president turned it over to a management company. We have not had a board in over four to five years. I am behind on my HOA and the management turned it over to a third party collection agency called Equity Experts who is now trying to collect this ridiculous amount. I want to pay my current fees but the mangement company want accept my current fees which is pushing me further behind in my fees.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: The community is now trying to elect a board so that we can be in control of where our money is going. The management company is trying to get out of their contract and responsibility. I am from South Carolina
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: paperwork?? They are threatening to put a lien on my own but the old President won't give them the authority to do so because we have issues with the management company who didn't informed us there was going to be a third party to collect.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't believe so I just want to know whats my next step in making sure they don't take my home for $1,600
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation,