How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6421
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex girl friend and i signed a lease last June. Her mother

Customer Question

my ex girl friend and i signed a lease last June. Her mother cosigned on the lease, there was infidelity in the relationship. She moved out and in an attempt to salvage my rental history i stayed in the house. My land lord didn't want to change the lease in fear of losing the cosigner. And wasn't willing to add anyone else to the lease, forcing me the majority of the time to pay the full rent in its entirety for 9 months. Can i sue My ex girl friend for her half for those nine months
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Yes, you can file a claim for contribution against her since she also signed the lease agreement.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Of often does the court side with the plaintiff on these matters, after the break up, i told her i would stay in the house to preserve our credibility and rental history, her mother was supposed to take the lease over a few months following, when the time came her mother said she couldnt afford do to medical bills. So again i agreed to stay out of guilt, personal obligation, and sympathy (Possibly even in writing via text.) unfortunately tied to my ex, when questions or concerns arose i would contact her, her jealous boy friend made several threats and one time ever slashed the tires in my car. Needless to say i no longer bare any guilt, nor feeling like i owe her any favors the lease is up in twenty days. Do you think it would be worth my time to pursue a claim like this?
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

You can try to pursue this in small claims court to make it worth your while. You can seek contribution from her for her 50% of the rent that would implicitly be owed to you under an equitable theory of "unjust enrichment"; even though you may not have had an agreement between the two of your to that effect. Unjust enrichment is a legal concept referring to situations in which one person is enriched at the expense of another in circumstances which the law treats as unjust. Where an individual is unjustly enriched, the law imposes an obligation upon the recipient to make restitution, subject to defenses such as a change of position. I am not sure how it was decided between the two of you that she would be the one to leave. However, if she left on her own volition, then you may have a better claim; rather than if you and her came to some agreement on this issue.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

P.S. Please remember to assign a positive feedback rating on this so that Just Answer will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.