Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I need advice on giving my property manager 30 days notice

Customer Question

I need advice on giving my property manager 30 days notice to move . I been there since 1988 , back then it was a year lease. But it change month to month. I gave her 30 days notice . And I told her I will pay my rent prorated. But she said I owe full months rent. Can she do that?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I gave her notice on May 12 in writing. I told her I will be out by May 31. And I am willing to pay prorated amount in June
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Ok
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's section 8 housing. Aimco handles the property
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

If I can ask a follow up question: The landlord is wanting you to pay for all of June's rent? Is that correct? Or are they wanting you to pay for all of May's rent?