Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mother gave me her portable yard barn, shortly after she…

Customer Question
My mother gave me...

My mother gave me her portable yard barn, shortly after she passed away before I got it moved. Can I remove it to my house? Her estate is in probate due to no will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/12/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Even if she gave it to you before her death, if you did not take physical possession of it or you have nothing in writing signed by her giving it to you AND if there are multiple heirs to the estate, then you will have to fight for this through probate court. You cannot simply remove it without consent of the administrator of the estate or probate court.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback.