Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I would like to know if I can be forced to sell my house if

Customer Question

I would like to know if I can be forced to sell my house if a lein is put on it.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NY
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I may owe 20k to the city I live in for code violations.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What will usually happen is that the lien will be sold to a private collection agency, and the private collection agency buys the right to collect the money that you owe to the city. Once sold, the private collection agency will try to enter into a payment agreement with you, and if you are not able to enter into such an agreement, the lien holder can then begin a formal foreclosure proceeding.

It is possible that the city will foreclose the property itself, but that is unlikely.

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Who would be the lien holder? The City of Glen Cove or the Collection agency?

At first, the lienholder would be the city, and then when it is sold, it would be the collection agency.