P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

Iam purchaseing a home, the seller and I made a verbal

Customer Question

Iam purchaseing a home, the seller and I made a verbal agreement for him to return 10K, to me after the sale, I offered him 100K, but he asked the lender for 110K, so he could give me the 10k, should I get this agreement in writing or is the verbal sufficient.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: MS
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes all of the required documents are ready
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well their are 3 children's involved, 2 adult men and a widowed sister inlaw, but I only made the deal with one of the brothers, he says that the others are onboard with the deal, but still their is nothing in writing.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

MS law (the statute of frauds) REQUIRES any contract for the sale of real property to be in writing.

SO if you have an agreement that he is to return money to you, as part of the transaction? It must be in writing to be enforceable.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.