Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

Chain link fence on properity line between me and neighbor,

Customer Question

Chain link fence on properity line between me and neighbor, I paid for the fence in the early sixties. The neighbor, who is new to the neighbor hood wants remove the chain link fence. the neighbor says the fence is his also. I do not want the fence removed.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Houston, Texas 77079
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is having a new home built on his lot
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You may be able to figure out whether he can tear down the fence based on where the property line is. So, if the fence is on your property line, it is obviously yours. If it is on his side of the property line, it is obvious his. However, if you share it, then it becomes the responsibility of the both of you. It's going to be difficult, but negotiating is going to be key in this particular case. The bright side is that he cannot tear it down without compensating you for the tear down. On the other hand, you can't control what happens to the fence. You may need to hire a surveyor to help you figure it out for sure, but talking with your neighbor may be the best thing to do.

Follow up questions are free, so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?