Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

The landlady will not respond to us with respect to the

Customer Question

The landlady will not respond to us with respect to the sewer pipes backing up in the house. Roto-Rooter has said the pipes need to be replaced. The toilet backs up into the house, all over the floor and into the bathtub. Now, sewage is backing up into the washing machine so we cannot use it. We need help. We already owe $545 to roto-rooter.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ellensburg, Washington
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: We are getting the bill sent to me for proof, but the letter has not yet been sent. She knows about the backup. She has used drain cleaner prior to this. She was at the house in mid-March to see the problems.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We could not pay the rent in April because we had to pay $1300 to the Utilities to get them back. This problem has become serious. The whole house smells like a sewer. The floors and spongy from water leaks because she took a year to replace the kitchen faucet.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this; has the landlord (LL) been advised, in writing, of the problem?