Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

In the State of FL is Air Conditioning considered a

Customer Question

In the State of FL is Air Conditioning considered a necessity or an amenity for a tenant of a rented house?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

In the state of Florida (and most other states) landlords are not required to provide air conditioning as it is not considered to be a necessity, heat is, but air is not. For those of us who have ever dealt with no AC in August we would beg to differ, but the law is pretty black and white

I can understand your frustration.It is an area of the law that needs to be changed.I have spent time in Florida this time of the year and its hot for sure.But the law does no require landlords to provide ac, it is u to the tenant to include this in the lease as addendum if you want to protect yourself.You can add it here as a requirement of the lease, and it is a smart thing to do here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks and the best here.Sorry this is happening to you.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok then what is considered a reasonable time to repair an AC unit... 6 weeks seems ridiculous this day and age to get a part.
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.

It is not reasonable you may consider withholding rent.They either need to put you in a hotel, waive rent, otherwise accomodate you.This is not reasonable in my miind at all.