Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

Can a non-owner of a home be the insured on a Homeowners

Customer Question

can a non-owner of a home be the insured on a Homeowners insurance policy?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Kentucky
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Originally there was a Lease with option to purchase - that is how the tenant got listed as the insured, but the option passed without it being enforced, and now there has been a fire, and the Owner is being pushed aside.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 months ago.

You have a potential problem, but the owner can't be "pushed aside" as you say. At the worst, the option holder might end up as a co-payee on the loss draft. The deed holder, i.e. the person who owns the home can if necessary file suit to have the lease – option nullified. That is an extreme step, and the owner will probably not have to take it once the insurance company is fully aware of all the facts.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.