How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6423
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Received a notice via regular mail about my property in

Customer Question

Received a notice via regular mail about my property in Kakaska MI. Stating it will be condemned in 5 days due to a tree falling on one side and damaging the roof. I live in Illinois. And have no way to get there to fix it that time due to work. I thought legally I was to get 30 day notice.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: As I said Kalkaska MI
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: As I said I received a noticw
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

You will need to contact the person that issued the notice and inquire about a process to file for an extension. I am not finding a copy of the city ordinances on line to verify whether a 30 day notice is required. If that does not work, then you will need to hire a local real estate attorney in that town and see if s/he can obtain a temporary injunction from a court to stop the condemnation which should give you about 2 weeks to rectify the problem. We are not permitted to represent JA's customers or to refer any particular lawyer to them, however this link may help you find the right lawyer.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

P.S. Please remember to assign a positive feedback rating on this so that Just Answer will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.