legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

I have a past tenant that broke the garage door before she

Customer Question

I have a past tenant that broke the garage door before she left the property and says she should have to pay for it because the garage door was not operational. She clogged the main line and on my lease it says she'll have to pay for any plumbing issues unless it was because of roots blocking the main line. Tenant says they deodorizer the floor but after I had the carpets professionally cleaned I had to deodorize and vacuum the floors my self which amounted to $45 for my time.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Yes they sent me some paper work today
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There are other dispute on the letter but it's to much to type
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 5 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

A landlord (LL) may deduct any damages to the unit caused by the tenant; this would include physical damage, and any damage beyond ordinary wear and tear;

please see:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/sec-deposit.shtml

For work performed by the LL, the invoice must charge a reasonable hourly fee:

• If the landlord or the landlord's employees did the work - The itemized statement must describe the work performed, including the time spent and the hourly rate charged. The hourly rate must be reasonable.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This was not helpful at all.

What were your follow up questions?