Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My parents own the house my girlfriend and I have been

Customer Question

my parents own the house my girlfriend and I have been renting for over 7 years. We are separating. Can she make any claims to keep the house?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses, but rest assured, I am working on your question. The website may offer a phone call option, but it is optional.

.

Can she make any claims to keep the house?

.

If you mean as in any claim of ownership, then no, neither you nor her own it...your parents do. You both are legally just tenants and parents can terminate the tenancy of one or both of you at any time with a 30 day notice if you aren't under a written fixed term lease.

.

You don't gain any ownership rights as a tenant regardless of how long you live there..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much