Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Question: Are HomeOwners Associations in Georgia required to

Customer Question

Hello, Question: Are HomeOwners Associations in Georgia required to register with the Courthouse periodically? Question 2: if so how do I go about finding out the current status of registgration for my HOA?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: Georgia, Newton County
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Paperwork pertaining to the establishment of the Association?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm totatlly confused....
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses, but rest assured, I am working on your question. The website may offer a phone call option, but it is optional.

.

A HOA is normally a non-profit 501C corporation so it must register with the Sec of State and then submit annual reports and filing fees to remain active. The Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions are filed in the local land records office, which may be in the courthouse, and set out any rules and restrictions on the owners of property in the HOA.

.

But as for filing something periodically in the local courthouse, no, that isn't a requirement. You may be thinking about the annual registration with the Sec of State so that they stay in good standing as a non-profit corporation.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much