Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

On lake Wisconsin if you have a pier for over 28 yrs. in the

Customer Question

On lake Wisconsin if you have a pier for over 28 yrs. in the same location- on a bay – which crosses a neighbor ripar***** *****ne ( Common and unavoidable)- the neighbor does not have pier because I have let him use mine .
N ow has his home on the market and he is pretty much insisting I move my pier so he can advertise that the buyer can have a shore station In the deeper water where my pier is located .
In 1989 the DNR approved my placement and I believe I am grandfathered in. the buyer could still build a pier further inland where there is 3 ft of water. Or put a walking pier in-between my pier and his other neighbor to have a shore station further out in the lake
Does he have a case or am I correct thinking he cannot force me over to further infringe on my other neighbor.
Thank you in advance for your expert opinion
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wisconsin on lake wisconsin
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses, but rest assured, I am working on your question. The website may offer a phone call option, but it is optional.

.

Did you get permission from the neighbor originally to locate your pier or did you just do it and tell him he could use it?

.

.

thanks