RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

We just signed a two year rental agreement 36 hours ago. We

Customer Question

We just signed a two year rental agreement 36 hours ago. We changed our minds and do not want the home and want to back out of it. We are in our sixties. This home is very nice, but the fact that it has a second floor with all the bedrooms upstairs could make it more difficult for us in the future. We would like to back out and get our money back: a total of $5835.00. We first were shown this home this past weekend; and signed the contract Monday May 8. The home is not available to us until July 1, so they have much time to re-rent it again. How do we get our money back and cancel the contract? Thank you.
JA: We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: File and report what?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Upon looking online, we understand that there is no 3-day right to rescind for renting. What can we do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You are correct, regarding the 3 day cooling off period and it not applying here. However, if you no longer want to proceed and take possession, you can advise the landlord of the same. Since the lease does not take place until July 1, 2017, the landlord could now make a good faith effort to market the rental again and try and find someone to take over or you can advertise it and try and find someone else well. Now, if that does not happen, you could be liable for the rent until a tenant is found, plus additional costs in finding a tenant. Of course, you can also propose a settlement to break the lease and see if the landlord would allow you to walk away by paying a fee of 2 months rent or whatever you feel is reasonable.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. We'll contact you if we have additional questions.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.