Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

If a Canadian citizen, whose spouse recently deceased, sells

Customer Question

If a Canadian citizen, whose spouse recently deceased, sells property in the US (FL) that they used for vacations what are the rules for their getting the proceeds from the sale. I understand there is a 15% of the sale that is held. Are there any other considerations?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: The death certificate
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. One moment while I review your question.
I am sorry to hear about your loss. If you could provide me some more information, that'd be great. Can you tell me what the 15% is that you are referring to specifically?