Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

What are the guidelines within the law for pointing security

Customer Question

What are the guidelines within the law for pointing security cameras directly at someones private property directly. My neighbor has his camera pointing directly to my poperty
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He has a protection order against him
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes in Sept he came home on a meth rage and assaulted members in my family including kicking my pregnant daughter in the stomach. He was charged with assult
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

It's illegal to point cameras into the private areas of someone's home, such as into their bathroom or bedroom window. There is no law that prevents pointing a camera at areas clearly visible to anyone walking down the street, such as a neighbor's driveway. It all comes down to whether there's a reasonable expectation of privacy, based on what a person on the sidewalk would be able to view.

If the camera points into a bedroom or bathroom, it could violate the restraining order but would also violate state voyeurism laws. If the neighbor is on probation or parole, you may want to reach out to their PO to discuss the problem.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?