LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

Can I move from a verbal agreement to a formal lease

Customer Question

Can I move from a verbal agreement to a formal lease smoothly. (The tenant is my son and I have been discounting his housing expenses in a home I own)
JA: After your first paid question, we offer a week's free trial membership when you can ask as many questions as you like.
Customer: How much is the advice?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

It is very easy to transition from a verbal rental agreement to a formal written Lease. If the tenant is a month to month tenant on a verbal rental agreement, you merely need to give a minimum of a 15-day written notice of the termination of the oral rental agreement, and then offer a written lease for continued occupancy of the premisesthat is your wish.

Here is a link to a group of lease forms used regularly in FL: https://rentallease.net/florida/florida-residential-lease-agreement/

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug