Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

In the state of WV if a Meth home was cleaned up

Customer Question

In the state of WV if a Meth home was cleaned up professionally and then listed through a realtor and is purchased. Does the buyer of the home have to disclose that the home was a previous meth home? If yes and a purchase agreement was agreed upon in as is condition would that void disclosing the home has been a meth home?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The seller of a home must disclose any known defects that are not readily observable. This is true even if the home is sold in as-is condition, because the disclosure must be provided to potential buyers before a sales contract is signed. Question #22 on the disclosure form asks whether there has been drug activity in the house.

If a seller does not provide the required disclosures before an agreement is signed, the buyer could bring an action to void the sale and get a full refund of any deposits or earnest money, because they did not enter the contract with the full knowledge needed to make it binding.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?