Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am trying to evict a tenant for non payment and she left

Customer Question

I am trying to evict a tenant for non payment and she left and Sheriff can not serve her
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. When you say she left, do you mean she vacated the rental and removed her personal belongings? Is all that you seek is possession of the rental?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
did not remove her furniture she left 2 weeks ago

Thank you. If she has vacated the rental and no longer resides there, the eviction would be moot. I say this because what you are asking the Judge for, you already have, which is a tenant who no longer lives there and vacant property. If she took everything except her furniture, you should try and contact her and see if she intends to retrieve it. If you can not get in contact with her, you could store it and hold it for at least 30 days to see if she retrieves it and then dispose of it, if you desire. If she abandoned it and has no intent to retrieve it, you would not have to keep it and can try and send her notice via mail, email or text. If you are sure she is gone and is not going to return, you could enter and take possession back, at this time. Since she knows she owes you money, she likely just left and has moved on.