Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbor damaged my property and they are renters. I

My neighbor damaged my...

My neighbor damaged my property and they are renters. I don't have the renters names. So I can't file against them for damages. I called the owner and they won't give me their names. Can I sue the owners of the rental house for damages done to my property due to their renters and they won't give me their names to pursue for damages?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wilsonville, Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only to the police, they didn't give them a citation for the willful damage that they did. They did tell them to stop or they would site them and they told me to sue them.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is one of several problems that has occurred between me and their renters of damage that they have done to my property.

5/3/2017
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses, but rest assured, I am working on your question. The website may offer a phone call option, but it is optional.

.

Can I sue the owners of the rental house for damages done to my property due to their renters and they won't give me their names to pursue for damages?

.

Legally no because the landlord is not liable for the unlawful actions of a 3rd party. You can only hold the tenant liable personally for any damages that you have sustained.

.

You could likely ask the police for their information because they would have filled out an incident report if they came out to talk to them.

.

Or just ask the postman when he delivers your mail one day as it isn't confidential information that he would be prohibited from disclosing..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer