Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am currently on a three person board with title of Vice…

I am currently on a...
I am currently on a three person board with title of Vice President. What happens if I put in my resignation?
4/19/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What state are you in? Is this a condominium? Some states have different rules for condo HOAs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am in Florida. Our association is Indian Trail Villas. We do not go by condo HOA accordingly to what they have told me over the years. We are similar to townhouses.

Okay, thank you. Townhouses typically are covered by the HOA statute, not the condo statute. I'm going to go pull that up for you, and I'll be back in a couple of minutes.

Fl. Stat., Section 720.306 says "Unless otherwise provided in the bylaws, any vacancy occurring on the board before the expiration of a term may be filled by an affirmative vote of the majority of the remaining directors, even if the remaining directors constitute less than a quorum, or by the sole remaining director."

Check the bylaws to see if they allow the President to fill vacancies on his own. Sometimes, they do. If not, since there are only 2 remaining directors, they will have to agree on someone. Neither has the power to overrule the other unless it says so in the bylaws.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can we as a board appoint two more board members, party of five? Can we then have one of the new appointees as vice president? Can I step into the secretary/treasurer position? Have the current secretary/treasurer as director with the fifth appointee as director as well. The present appointed Secretary/Treasurer was soliciting the neighborhood to impeach the present President and we are not comfortable with her ethics at this time.

If there's already someone in the Secretary/Treasurer position, you can't take it unless they also step down and you get appointed to fill it.

The board can only appoint two more board members if the bylaws call for a 5 person board. If the bylaws only provides for a three person board, then they have to be amended before you can add board members. That's usually going to require a vote by all the homeowners, unless your documents say otherwise.

A board member can be recalled by an affirmative vote of the majority of voting interests. Fl. Stat., Section 720.303. You'd have to hold a meeting, advertise it, and put it to a vote.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Our by laws state minimum three board members, maximum nine. At this time, can we appointment two people to the board without announcing it to general population? Can I then step down to director position and appointment new appointee to vice president role, leaving the Secretary/Treasurer as is?

You have to tell the general population that you've appointed people to the vacant positions so they know who is on their board. But the board can fill vacancies, so you don't have to put it to a member vote or notify the members in advance. You can then step down after any new members are appointed.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer