How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41652
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in South Carolina, county. I have a double wide

This answer was rated:

Hi, I live in South Carolina, Anderson county. I have a double wide mobile home on a couple acre property. The mobile home has a dmv issued title and the land is deeded in my name. I own both outright. I want to sell my home and land together.Are there many options for potential buyers to get financing for both the home and land or do they need to be merged together on a deed for financing? How much does it cost to merge them together? I was told by my county that I need to hire an attorney to do this, is this true? How long does this procedure take?

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Here is the process

Detitling a Mobile or Manufactured Home

Mobile or manufactured de-titling can only be processed through headquarters using the mail-in process. Please mail all required documents to:


Titles and Registration

Post Office Box 1498

Blythewood, SC###-##-####/p>

Please contact your county for additional requirements.

Todetitle a mobile or manufactured home, you must submit the following:

  • The Manufactured Home Affidavit or the Retirement of TitleCertificate.
    Thisdocument must be obtained from the register of deeds or the clerk of court inthe county where the home is located. It must be stamped with thedate and time it was received in the county office.

  • Title for the Mobile or Manufactured Home
    The title must be the original SC title. The information (Year, Make, VIN andowner) on the title and the Retirement of Title Certificate mustmatch. The information on the title must also match the informationcontained in DMV files. If the mobile or manufactured home ispurchased new, you must apply for the title before it can be detitled.

  • Lien Release
    A lien release must be provided for each lien recorded on thetitle. If the lien is not released on the title, any attorneylicensed to practice law in SC may record a Satisfaction of Lien Affidavit inthe county where the home is located provided proof of payment can be providedto the county. If the mobile or manufactured home still has a lienat the time the title is retired, you must file a manufactured home lienaffidavit with the clerk of court in the county where the mobile home islocated. After filing the lien affidavit, it will become a lien against thereal property.

  • Property Tax Receipt
    A tax receipt indicating that the taxes for the current year have beenpaid. If no taxes are owed on the property, DMV will accept a statementon the county treasurer’s letterhead stating that no taxes are owed.

  • De-Titling Fee
    A $50.00 fee is required for each mobile home that is detitled.

DMVwill provide written confirmation to the homeowner that the certificate oftitle has been retired.

You can have local title company help you with this, it snot that hard.Once it is retired above then you can sell it altogether.I tis possible for a buyer to then get loan for all of it the home plus the land as one here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your answer!Once the mobile home is detitled, does it need to be added to the property deed? How long does this procedure usually take?

No once you get the form from DMV detitling you should record it in your county deed records here.That will show it is one with the land.The next deed where you sell it will include in the property description together with any improvements thereon and thats it.

Ray and 6 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions