Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

State of Alabama I bought a tax lien foreclosed property in…

Customer Question
State of Alabama I bought...

State of Alabama
I bought a tax lien foreclosed property in Tuscaloosa, AL. I paid the taxes up for the past three years and was awarded the Tax Lien Deed and it has been registered in the Tax Assessor Office and the Probate Judge office for Tuscaloosa County.
Someone is living in the house. I sent them letters and went through the eviction process. Since they are not tenants and I don’t have a lease, the judge ruled in their favor since I didn’t have a lease and eviction notice.
I spoke with a law student and they told me that I could do a writ of possession based on those reason and wait 14 days and have the sheriff department evict them. I know a writ of possession doesn’t meant that I have to have a lease but it stated for other reasons. The other reasons would be I purchased the property through tax lien property.
What are the steps that I need to take to have this person evicted out of my house.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

I put that info in the statement

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

As i stated in the above conversation, i went through the district courts and filed a default judgement and then unlawful detainer and the eviction process. The judge ruled in her favor since i didnt have a lease or an eviction notice. I was instructed that i should file in Circuit court a writ of possession.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need to know all of the forms or statements that i need to file to have them evicted

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/12/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 10 months ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Cerit,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Quite simply, you need to file the correct legal action to get them out, and an eviction was not it.

You need to file an Action in Ejectment in Circuit Court. Here is a link to a discussion of this process: http://www.cloudwillis.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/CW-EJECTMENT-OR-EVICTION.pdf

If I were you I'd retain a local landlord-tenant attorney to file the lawsuit for you.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney