Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I purchased my home June of 2016-we had a home inspection

Customer Question
(especially due to home being...
I purchased my home June of 2016-we had a home inspection (especially due to home being an historical home built in the early 1960s)and were confident when we moved in that there were no major issues-only a few cosmetic ones-since we have moved in, it has cost me over $15,000 in repairs-from having to totally rebuild 2 bathrooms -replace all sewer lines from home to city lines-and found that the wood floor was laid over linoleum-we found over 75 sewer roaches in the closet where the air conditioner unit is-all of which were on the sticky roach catcher paper-trying to figure out how inspector missed-on further "close" inspection -we found holes in kitchen cupboards covered with tape-and small roach traps- and at that point had an inspection done and found that we had to totally rebuild 2 bathrooms (which are back to back) -floors showed 90% water saturation and walls 80%-also found that there was about a 12-15 inch long section at baseboard behind toilet that had been repainted with what looked like a water soluable paint-so opened up wall and found seriously corroided sewer pipe (floor to ceiling) with approximate 20" hole and thought to be black mold totally covering wall behind toilet and behind tub-which turned out to be roach droppings-I know this is lengthy-but one other item-plumbing backup of which on inspection found collapsed line (with incorrect type of pipe) that you could tell had been collapsed for a length of time and waste going under home-(found when shower backed up in 3rd bathroom-so all lines were found to be needing replaced-also found toys, pillows, books in vents -all of this in 1st 3 months in home-I am 70 years old-used most of my retirement to buy this home so kids would have a home when I am gone-when my realtor advised sellers realtor of concerns that these issues were known to the sellers-basically the answer was sorry-between buyer and seller-of course-when tried to contact-phone # no longer working-I was just advised that I had recourse up to 3 years to try and sue sellers for some type of compensation and maybe even the inspector as I feel he missed items due to inefficient work- is it true you have this much time to go back-I had to go back to work and just feel the sellers should be somewhat responsible -Thank you
JA: We take care of them immediately, but sometimes it takes 3 to 5 days for the banks to process things. Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Glendale, Arizona-I am sorry-take care of what?
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No-I did not know I could- are you responding to my question about home issues found?
JA: No. I'm the Real Estate Lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: Do I need to wait for response from Tina, RE Lawyer? Are you responding to a different issue?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? No. I'm the Real Estate Lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: No-
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/12/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Bruce Schreiber

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Let me deal with the inspector first. Generally speaking, if the inspector was negligent by missing obvious defects he may be liable to you. However, most inspection reports contain an abundance of disclaimers that limit their liability. check it over carefully.

As for the liability of the Sellers, the prevailing law says that once you close, all promises made in the purchase agreement regarding the condition of the premises are deemed satisfied and accepted. That is why you are always tole to do a final inspection just before the closing.

The only way the Sellers can be held liable for defects is if you are able to prove that they purposefully and deliberately covered up defects so they would not be discovered. But that is very difficult to prove. You have to show affirmative actions that they took to hide the problems.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively. Thank you for your consideration. Please let me know if you were unhappy with my service and I will opt out for another Attorney to assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Lawyer