Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I recently refi my home of 21 years. I took my brother out…

Customer Question
I recently refi my...

I recently refi my home of 21 years. I took my brother out of the title because I no longer need him as a co-signer.The tax assessor stays that this move was a Change of Ownership and therefore my taxes on the property will increase. My brother was my co-signer but he used the property tax in his imcomtax declaration.Since he is related to me by blood can that be an exception? FHA has a rule about this what do you think?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California County of Los Angeles

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The assessor alrady sent me the suplement

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My loan was a conventional loan. I don know if there is something similar when it comes to relatives using the property tax to claim in his tax declaration.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 day by:
4/3/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.
The family relation is not an exception but you can claim he never had an interest and was on title only for convenience which is supported by him agreeing to come off title. He can give an affidavit if needed supporting that.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.If you retain counsel martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.