Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have apiece of land that is land locked my another parcel…

Customer Question
I have apiece of...

I have apiece of land that is land locked my another parcel the owner of the land to cross will not give me legal right of way to cross. my family has crossed his land for 60 yrs he is not the first owner I have tried to talk with him and went through another lawyer, he just said that the best route for me is not the best. my lawyer does not have my best as none nothing to follow up in 3 yrs I am old and very much want this land sold for my children. I have a buyer if I can get legal rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

In Horry county

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes after first year she said her survier went and look hat it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is clear land there is a road that the man that rents my land cross which is the other owner and he never says a word but by buyer can not get a loan with out legal right

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/1/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

If the neighbor won't voluntarily give you the easement, you can file a suit to quiet title with the court to ask the court to grant you an easement based on of the following: i) an easement by necessity because you would otherwise be landlocked; and/or ii) a prescriptive easement based on your long-time usage...which is similar to adverse possession except it's based on usage rather than ownership so the result is you get an access easement rather than an ownership of the property. Once the court grants this easement, you can record this court order in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located, and it will have the same legal effect as if the neighbor had granted the easement.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!