How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 39164
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a single family resident home in Hemet, ca march

This answer was rated:

Hi there I bought a single family resident home in Hemet, ca march 2016. 3 weeks after I moved in electricity completely went out, then air/heat, then found out plumbing not connected to city street sewer. I paid all repairs since insurance said each incident not covered. I originally clearly expressed to my real estate agent I was not interested in a fixer upper. I even turned down other cheaper nicer homes due to noted fixer upper issues. This home was labeled Move In Ready with some minor fixes but not labeled Major as I ended up with and non related. I expressed each issue along the way and lastly they sent a letter to selling agent for previous owner to help with expenses since these issues not exposed in inspection at degree of repair needed. Can I sue for reimbursement? if so, who? how? Carmen Tellez
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: not yet. I only sent letters to my agent along the way for each incident. I first tried to express to selling agent but her office said that I was to only deal with my agent which I have. But seems like I've been toted along entire way.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes. I finally (after nearly a year of trying to resolve), rec'd a letter from my agent (after I expressed perhaps I should sue the owner/selling agent) copied to selling agent all my concerns as I turned in rejected insurance letters for repairs and my receipts. My agent informed me that seling agent claimed I agreed to a $2,000 credit instead of requested repairs. I countered with the fact that during time of sale of home, I did agree to THOSE particular items listed, but NOT the major issues occurred within 3 weeks after transaction when home already purchased as when I first brought to their attention and all along 2016.


I am a member of the State Bar of California, the Bar of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties), and the California and National Associations of Realtors.

Every residential sale provides a "REAL ESTATE TRANSFER DISCLOSURE STATEMENT." If your disclosure failed to mention any of these issues (septic tank, etc.), then the seller may be liable for misrepresentation of the property's condition. Similarly, a real estate agent has a duty to make a visual inspection of the property. Failure to provide you with the agent's disclosure re the visual inspection can create liability for the agent.

So, the answer is, yes, dependent upon the actual facts surrounding your purchase. That's about as far as I can go without actually reviewing your entire transaction.

If you need more personal attention than can be provided in this public forum, I can arrange to send you my personal contact info, and we can take the discussion offline into a confidential setting. Please let me know if you're interested.

If not, then I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Note: If you are presented with an offer for a phone consultation, which may appear to have been sent by me, please know that it is an automated website offer, and that I do participate in this Justanswer program. If you would like to correspond with me directly, whether by phone, email or otherwise, then instead of accepting the phone call offer, simply type to me that you would like my direct contact info, and I will send you a specific offer for that purpose.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Yes I am interested because I feel an entire year has been way more than enough time to rectify situation thru my agent.

Okay, to be clear, you want me to send my direct contact info?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
we may further discuss if I clearly have a case once you go over my documents.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that's how it works right? Or can we continue here?

Okay, sent.

socrateaser and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Please follow the instructions in the offer response. Thanks again for using Justanswer!