LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

I have a complicated issue regarding my primary residence.

I have a complicated issue regarding my primary residence. It's a small home, built in the 1800s. The well that supplies my water is running dry. It also has a septic system. Property laws in my township prohibit a new well being drilled within a certain distance of a septic system. I do not have enough room on my property therefore, to drill a new well. I contacted the water authority about tapping into public water and the cost would be upwards of $200,000 which I cannot afford. My question is what do I do when my well runs dry and the house is no longer inhabitable?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Have you considered having your present well dug deeper in an effort to find a new water source?

If deepening your present well is not possible or is not effective in getting you more usable water, then you will need to relocate your septic system and drain-field as far as possible toward one end of the property and then place your new well at the opposite end of the property. And if you still are not within code after relocating the septic and drain-field, the only alternative you then have is to see a variance to allow you to drill the well more closely than is presently allowed. You will need a Real Estate attorney who handles variances and appeals to assist you in this process.

You may reply to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I can address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen so that I can be compensated for helping you. I am not an employee of the site and I am only paid when you rate my service to you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, and for your generous bonus. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope that you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.

Doug