Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am named as a defendant in an eminent domain case against…

Hello, I am named as...
Hello, I am named as a defendant in an eminent domain case against a landlord by the city in Texas. I used to be a tenant in this building but my lease expired more than a year ago and I have since moved. I spoke to the city's lawyer and he said I need to file a Release of Interest in Property to get my name taken off the suit or get a lawyer to do so. The suit contains the names of all the tenants of the building (current tenants) and mine because I had signed (along with the other tenants) a "subordination, attornment and non-disturbance agreement" prior my lease expiration. Is it normal to have my name on the suit? More importantly, is it harmful for my name to be on there as a defendant even though I have nothing to do with that property?
3/6/2017
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

You are being named as someone that may have an interest in the real property because you were a tenant this is not uncommon. You do not want to be a named party in a lawsuit if at all possible. Where in Texas is the property located so I can provide a link for a local Attorney to have you removed from the case?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sugar Land
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

Is this in district court?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
According to the suit its filed in County Civil Court:
Fort Bend County - Court at Law 1

Thank you.

They don't want you but they also don't want to fail to name anyone that could have interest. No worries.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively. Thank you for your consideration. Please let me know if you were unhappy with my service and I will opt out for another Attorney to assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your prompt responses and help - I did find a Release of Interest in Property form online. If I filled it out and get it notorized would I be able to file this form myself rather than hiring an attorney for something that isn't even my fault. I dont think I would be able to recover the fee I would have to pay the attorney for filing the form to get my name removed. I just wanted to confirm that before I contact the attorneys that you linked me to because I am sure they will charge a lot or by the hour.

You need to respond and that would be included. I can provide a link for Pro Bono and legal aid attorneys if that will help. I just want to make sure that you are properly removed.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you that would be great I really appreciate it and all of your help!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much this is very helpful!

My pleasure.