Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have a listing agreement with a Real Estate agent. Is the…

I have a listing agreement...
I have a listing agreement with a Real Estate agent. Is the listing agreement valid if the start date on the contract is October 2016 and the end date is August 2016?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/3/2017
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. How did this happen? Was the intent of the parties to have it be from August-October and the dates were simply reversed?

The realtor put the document together, and I'm assuming they wanted the period from October 2016 to August 2017, however that's not what shows. The realtor has not yet listed my home, however has visited me several times. I am not happy with his services so I want to cancel the listing agreement before any any work is done to put it on the market. I requested we cancel he is now threatening me with a law suite for breach of contract with damages. He hasn't put any effort into the sale...

Thank you for the reply. For the realtor to prevail, they would need to show damages. The time for them to be working for you, needs to be stated and agreed upon. If you were agreeing for the listing agreement to be from October 2016-August 2017 and this was an error which neither party saw, a Judge could still hold the contract enforceable, if the intent of the parties was clear and undisputed. You shared that you are assuming that they wanted the period to run from X to Y but it was up to you, as the client. Moreover, if they have not incurred any costs or done any work and you are not have with his services to date, you could cancel the contract.

Additional info: He's saying that I'm in breach of contract since I didn't take any of his suggestions to "refresh" my home (they were all over my budget) and that I've prevented him from selling my house. Which is not yet listed on the MLS. He says he has incurred costs by hiring a designer and showing me a rendering of my house after some construction work that he is proposing. I didn't like the rendering and I also never agreed either verbally or in writing to pay for the designer. Should I hire an attorney to represent me? He is now sending me very threatening emails.

As the owner, you have the final say and decision, about any work done. If he did this on his own, the cost would fall on him and is a part of listing a home. You never agreed to pay for it and are not forced to use it and do anything, if you do not want to. He should not have taken the listing, if you were not going to refresh the home

RealEstateAnswer
Thank-you. One last question. Is there any language I can use to stop the threatening emails? Any guidance here would be helpful.

You can tell him to cease the contact or else you will go to the police and see to get an order imposed by the court, for the harassment. You can make your position clear and to stop contacting you and if they want to take action, to file suit and you will defend that lawsuit at that time

RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer