Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If I live in NY and buy a foreclosed property will liens…

If I live in NY...
If I live in NY and buy a foreclosed property will liens such as second mortgages, creditor's liens and workman's compensation liens be wiped out with the foreclosure?
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/26/2017
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. Yes, a foreclosure in NY will extinguish the liens you mentioned. The only liens that you need to worry about that have priority over a mortgage are property tax liens and HOA liens. So, you want to make sure there are no unpaid property taxes or HOA dues/assessments as these won't be extinguished in the event of a foreclosure of a mortgage.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.