Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I find myself in a predicament where a mechanic's lien has

been filed against my property...
I find myself in a predicament where a mechanic's lien has been filed against my property. February 26th 2016 I entered into a contract with a contractor and it was never disclosed that a subcontractor would be performing some of the work nor lien waivers provided. On July 20th 2016 I was served with a mechanic's lien notice. I contacted the company immediately and was informed that they did indeed subcontract some of the work and that I should not be concerned because my bill had been paid full. On September 15th, 2016 a mechanics lien was filed against my property. Firstly is this a valid lien? The company refuses to pay and are unresponsive. What options are available for me to do? Am I ultimately responsible for paying something when I have no contractual relationship with this other company? Any assistance you may offer would be appreciated
2/8/2017
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear that. Unfortunately you are still liable but what you can do is pay them and then sue the contractor for those damages.

Thank you for your quick response I will heed your advice and contact the subcontractor to arrange payment. It's unfortunate that owners are not protected and any subcontractor unknowingly could put a lien against my title. Is it worth me fighting this and trying to sue the original contractor? How would I go about it without hiring a lawyer and incurring more cost?

I do think it is worth it. IF it is less than the dollar threshold of your small claims court's jurisdiction then even more. so

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer