Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I find myself in a predicament where a mechanic's lien has…

I find myself in a...
I find myself in a predicament where a mechanic's lien has been filed against my property. February 26th 2016 I entered into a contract with a contractor and it was never disclosed that a subcontractor would be performing some of the work nor lien waivers provided. On July 20th 2016 I was served with a mechanic's lien notice. I contacted the company immediately and was informed that they did indeed subcontract some of the work and that I should not be concerned because my bill had been paid full. On September 15th, 2016 a mechanics lien was filed against my property. Firstly is this a valid lien? The company refuses to pay and are unresponsive. What options are available for me to do? Am I ultimately responsible for paying something when I have no contractual relationship with this other company? Any assistance you may offer would be appreciated
2/8/2017
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear that. Unfortunately you are still liable but what you can do is pay them and then sue the contractor for those damages.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your quick response I will heed your advice and contact the subcontractor to arrange payment. It's unfortunate that owners are not protected and any subcontractor unknowingly could put a lien against my title. Is it worth me fighting this and trying to sue the original contractor? How would I go about it without hiring a lawyer and incurring more cost?

I do think it is worth it. IF it is less than the dollar threshold of your small claims court's jurisdiction then even more. so

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer