Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

A friend has a real estate license and is a licensed broker.

Customer Question
A friend has a...

A friend has a real estate license and is a licensed broker. She was a 50-50 partner on a deal some months ago and has been unable to collect the fee. Her name was not on the so-called deals sheets but she was listed as a partner 50/50, and the owner who sold the property will back her up and is a lawyer. The broker who does not wish to pay will not acknowledge and maybe using his own lawyer. I don't want my friend to lose out. I don't have anyone else to ask about this. Am I in danger just asking, and is there any president or reason or way to go about collecting?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York State.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well, I'm just trying to help a friend get what's hers, and I'm not a wealthy person, and I don't know how this site works. Am I going to be on the hook financially for any advice given? Because if so it might be better that I contact someone in person with her.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/30/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
I can suggest some ideas for preparing and pursuing your case. would you like that information?