Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

If I believe that I have been frauded in a real estate

if I believe that I have been frauded in a real estate contract how can I sue and what court shall I sue in?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not sure what you mean by filed or reported? I can't afford to talk to an attorney longer than 1/2 hour and haven't understood what I should do
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you. No worries if you receive a notification for a phone call it will be my pleasure to continue you with you in this format.

Can you tell me what occurred that you feel is fraud so I can tell you how this matter would be handled? Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you.I am new to NC from NJ originally.I entered into a lease purchase option contract to purchase a property from its owner. At the time of the move, I did not have an opportunity to consult an attorney prior to signing the agreements. The lease option purchase term is the same as the lease/rental term. I had given the person who I believed was the current owner $7,000 cash as the option amount. The property was supposed to be ready for me to move in by April 1, 2016 but for reasons I still do not understand, I was forced to wait until May 6, 2016 which created an urgency for me to move from my apartment for which I was no longer in lease for.
The owner of this property that I agreed to lease purchase agreed to allow me to pay the additional option fee of $3,000.00 in installments but upon moving into this property, I realized that it was in such a poor condition that trying to just maintain living here and paying the regular monthly lease payment of $1,565.00; it was difficult to add the additional $1000 for the first three months. so, he agreed to modify the agreement and add the $3,000 into the price of the home. It was at this time, when he sent me the modified documents that I was able to take time to really read the document in its entirety that I found several areas of misrepresentation (intentional) and possibly fraud. Initially he did not signed the agreement until last month, so I am not even sure if this was properly executed. There is a clause in the agreement that says that the fully executed document must be filed/recorded within 5 days or it is considered a breach of the agreement.
He told me that my 21 year old college student child had to be on the contracts because he is 21. So now, my son is tied up in this mess.
He agreed to also modify the date that the monthly payment was due and he did so in writing but he has taken me to court 3 times charging me fees each time although I was able to confirm with another attorney for $125 that the document he sent to me agreeing to change the monthly payment due date was valid.
Also, I had to pay his attorney fees in the beginning which I found was not legal in the NC Statute. I can let you know which statute it is.
There is more but I know I have already stated a lot.

I am happy to help I just need a little clarification.

"The lease option purchase term is the same as the lease/rental term. I had given the person who I believed was the current owner $7,000 cash as the option amount. The property was supposed to be ready for me to move in by April 1, 2016 but for reasons I still do not understand, I was forced to wait until May 6, 2016 which created an urgency for me to move from my apartment for which I was no longer in lease for."

In essence if the property was supposed to be available tha was a breach by the owner. Do you have a copy of the contract that you can attach?

As far as misrepresentations that is fraud plain and simple. The failure to disclose material defects is against the law in NC. Was there a realtor involved?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, no realtor.If I decide to switch to a live phone call, am I charged both $31 and $59?

There is an additional charge for a phone call. This request does not come from me. The site sends the prompt to you. I am happy to continue in this format at no additional charge.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
oh, okay. I wanted to make it as easy as possible.Honestly, I believe that he probably copied an agreement used before and filled it in with the details of this property. He is trying to evict me and keep my money. I am not sure how to fight back or in what court I need to take a stand. I do believe that the initial breach I found which is not the only one. I checked with the register of deeds office and this agreement was signed as trustee but the register of deeds does not have any documentation except a document with the real trustees and ditech mortgage. Also, his business has been dis (no longer a corporation).How do I proceed in order to regain my money? How do I sue him for this?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
file is too large to load here on this site

There is a law in NC that requires the seller to make certain disclosures with regard to the real property being sold. The North Carolina Seller Disclosure Act.

This is the law and it applies to your situation.

Residential Property Disclosure Act.

Residential Property Disclosure Act.

§ 47E-1. Applicability.

This Chapter applies to the following transfers of residential real property consisting of not less than one nor more than four dwelling units, whether or not the transaction is with the assistance of a licensed real estate broker or salesman:

(1) Sale or exchange,

(2) Installment land sales contract,

(3) Option, or

(4) Lease with option to purchase, except as provided in G.S. 47E-2(10). (1995, c. 476, s. 1; 1997-472, s. 5.)

§ 47E-2. Exemptions.

(a) The following transfers are exempt from the provisions of this Chapter:

(1) Transfers pursuant to court order, including transfers ordered by a court in administration of an estate, transfers pursuant to a writ of execution, transfers by foreclosure sale, transfers by a trustee in bankruptcy, transfers by eminent domain, and transfers resulting from a decree for specific performance.

(2) Transfers to a beneficiary from the grantor or his successor in interest in a deed of trust, or to a mortgagee from the mortgagor or his successor in interest in a mortgage, if the indebtedness is in default; transfers by a trustee under a deed of trust or a mortgagee under a mortgage, if the indebtedness is in default; transfers by a trustee under a deed of trust or a mortgagee under a mortgage pursuant to a foreclosure sale, or transfers by a beneficiary under a deed of trust, who has acquired the real property at a sale conducted pursuant to a foreclosure sale under a deed of trust.

(3) Transfers by a fiduciary in the course of the administration of a decedent's estate, guardianship, conservatorship, or trust.

(4) Transfers from one or more co-owners solely to one or more other co-owners.

(5) Transfers made solely to a spouse or a person or persons in the lineal line of consanguinity of one or more transferors.

(6) Transfers between spouses resulting from a decree of divorce or a distribution pursuant to Chapter 50 of the General Statutes or comparable provision of another state.

(7) Transfers made by virtue of the record owner's failure to pay any federal, State, or local taxes.

(8) Transfers to or from the State or any political subdivision of the State.

(b) The following transfers are exempt from the provisions of G.S. 47E-4 but not from the requirements of G.S. 47E-4.1:

(1) Transfers involving the first sale of a dwelling never inhabited.

(2) Lease with option to purchase contracts where the lessee occupies or intends to occupy the dwelling.

(3) Transfers between parties when both parties agree not to complete a residential property disclosure statement or an owners' association and mandatory covenants disclosure statement. (1995, c. 476, s. 1; 2011-362, s. 3(a); 2014-120, s. 49(a).)

§ 47E-3. Definitions.

When used in this Chapter, unless the context requires otherwise, the term:

(1) "Owner" means each person having a recorded present or future interest in real estate that is identified in a real estate contract subject to this Chapter; but shall not mean or include the trustee in a deed of trust, or the owner or holder of a mortgage, deed of trust, mechanic's or materialman's lien, or other lien or security interest in the real property, or the owner of any easement or license encumbering the real property.

(2) "Purchaser" means each person or entity named as "buyer" or "purchaser" in a real estate contract subject to this Chapter.

(3) "Real estate contract" means a contract for the transfer of ownership of real property by the means described in G.S. 47E-1.

(4) "Real property" means the lot or parcel, and the dwelling unit(s) thereon, described in a real estate contract subject to this Chapter. (1995, c. 476, s. 1.)

§ 47E-4. Required disclosures.

(a) With regard to transfers described in G.S. 47E-1, the owner of the real property shall furnish to a purchaser a residential property disclosure statement. The disclosure statement shall:

(1) Disclose those items which are required to be disclosed relative to the characteristics and condition of the property and of which the owner has actual knowledge; or

(2) State that the owner makes no representations as to the characteristics and condition of the real property or any improvements to the real property except as otherwise provided in the real estate contract.

(b) The North Carolina Real Estate Commission shall develop and require the use of a standard disclosure statement to comply with the requirements of this section. The disclosure statement shall specify that certain transfers of residential property are excluded from this requirement by G.S. 47E-2, including transfers of residential property made pursuant to a lease with an option to purchase where the lessee occupies or intends to occupy the dwelling, and shall include at least the following characteristics and conditions of the property:

(1) The water supply and sanitary sewage disposal system;

(2) The roof, chimneys, floors, foundation, basement, and other structural components and any modifications of these structural components;

(3) The plumbing, electrical, heating, cooling, and other mechanical systems;

(4) Present infestation of wood-destroying insects or organisms or past infestation the damage for which has not been repaired;

(5) The zoning laws, restrictive covenants, building codes, and other land-use restrictions affecting the real property, any encroachment of the real property from or to adjacent real property, and notice from any governmental agency affecting this real property; and

(6) Presence of lead-based paint, asbestos, radon gas, methane gas, underground storage tank, hazardous material or toxic material (whether buried or covered), and other environmental contamination.

The disclosure statement shall provide the owner with the option to indicate whether the owner has actual knowledge of the specified characteristics or conditions, or the owner is making no representations as to any characteristic or condition.

(b1) With regard to transfers described in G.S. 47E-1, the owner of the real property shall furnish to a purchaser an owners' association and mandatory covenants disclosure statement.

(1) The North Carolina Real Estate Commission shall develop and require the use of a standard disclosure statement to comply with the requirements of this subsection. The disclosure statement shall specify that certain transfers of residential property are excluded from this requirement by G.S. 47E-2, including transfers of residential property made pursuant to a lease with an option to purchase where the lessee occupies or intends to occupy the dwelling. The standard disclosure statement shall require disclosure of whether or not the property to be conveyed is subject to regulation by one or more owners' association(s) and governing documents which impose various mandatory covenants, conditions, and restrictions upon the property, including, but not limited to, obligations to pay regular assessments or dues and special assessments. The statement required by this subsection shall include information on all of the following:

a. The name, address, telephone number, or e-mail address for the president or manager of the association to which the lot is subject.

b. The amount of any regular assessments or dues to which the lot is subject.

c. Whether there are any services that are paid for by regular assessments or dues to which the lot is subject.

d. Whether, as of the date the disclosure is signed, there are any assessments, dues, fees, or special assessments which have been duly approved as required by the applicable declaration or bylaws, payable to an association to which the lot is subject.

e. Whether, as of the date the disclosure is signed, there are any unsatisfied judgments against or pending lawsuits involving the lot, the planned community or the association to which the lot is subject, with the exception of any action filed by the association for the collection of delinquent assessments on lots other than the lot to be sold.

f. Any fees charged by an association or management company to which the lot is subject in connection with the conveyance or transfer of the lot to a new owner.

(2) The owners' association and mandatory covenants disclosure statement shall provide the owner with the option to indicate whether the owner has actual knowledge of the specified characteristics, or conditions or the owner is making no representations as to any characteristic or condition contained in the statement.

(b2) Repealed by Session Laws 2014-120, s. 49(a), effective January 1, 2015, and applicable to contracts executed on or after that date.

(c) The rights of the parties to a real estate contract as to conditions of the property of which the owner had no actual knowledge are not affected by this Article unless the residential disclosure statement or the owners' association and mandatory covenants disclosure statement, as applicable, states that the owner makes no representations as to those conditions. If the statement states that an owner makes no representations as to the conditions of the property, then the owner has no duty to disclose those conditions, whether or not the owner should have known of them. (1995, c. 476, s. 1.; 1997-472, s. 1; 2011-362, s. 3(b); 2012-143, s. 5; 2014-120, s. 49(a).)

§ 47E-4.1. Required mineral and oil and gas rights disclosures.

(a) With regard to transfers described in G.S. 47E-1 and G.S. 47E-2(b), the owner of the real property shall furnish to a purchaser a mineral and oil and gas rights mandatory disclosure statement. The disclosure shall be conspicuous, shall be in boldface type, and shall be as follows:

MINERAL AND OIL AND GAS RIGHTS DISCLOSURE

Mineral rights and/or oil and gas rights can be severed from the title to real property by conveyance (deed) of the mineral rights and/or oil and gas rights from the owner or by reservation of the mineral rights and/or oil and gas rights by the owner. If mineral rights and/or oil and gas rights are or will be severed from the property, the owner of those rights may have the perpetual right to drill, mine, explore, and remove any of the subsurface mineral and/or oil or gas resources on or from the property either directly from the surface of the property or from a nearby location. With regard to the severance of mineral rights and/or oil and gas rights, Seller makes the following disclosures:

Yes No No Representation

___________ 1. Mineral rights were severed from ___ ___ ___

Buyer Initials the property by a previous owner.

Yes No

___________ 2. Seller has severed the mineral ___ ___

Buyer Initials rights from the property.

Yes No

___________ 3. Seller intends to sever the mineral ___ ___

Buyer Initials rights from the property prior to

transfer of title to Buyer.

Yes No No Representation

___________ 4. Oil and gas rights were severed from ___ ___ ___

Yes No

___________ 5. Seller has severed the oil and gas ___ ___

Yes No

___________ 6. Seller intends to sever the oil and ___ ___

Buyer Initials gas rights from the property prior to

transfer of title to Buyer.

(b) The North Carolina Real Estate Commission shall develop and require the use of a mineral and oil and gas rights mandatory disclosure statement to comply with the requirements of this section. The disclosure statement shall specify that the transfers identified in G.S. 47E-2(a) are exempt from this requirement but the transfers identified in G.S. 47E-2(b) are not. The disclosure statement shall provide the owner with the option to indicate whether the owner has actual knowledge of the specified characteristics or conditions. The owner may make no representations only as to a previous severance of mineral rights and previous severance of oil and gas rights.

(c) The rights of the parties to a real estate contract as to the severance of minerals or the severance of oil and gas rights by the previous owner of the property and of which the owner had no actual knowledge are not affected by this Article unless the mineral and oil and gas rights mandatory disclosure statement states that the owner makes no representations as to the severance of mineral rights or the severance of oil and gas rights by the previous owner of the property. If the statement states that an owner makes no representations as to the severance of mineral rights or the severance of oil and gas rights by the previous owner of the property, then the owner has no duty to disclose the severance of mineral rights or the severance of oil and gas rights, as applicable, by a previous owner of the property, whether or not the owner should have known of any such severance. (2014-120, s. 49(a).)

§ 47E-5. Time for disclosure; cancellation of contract.

(a) The owner of real property subject to this Chapter shall deliver to the purchaser the disclosure statements required by this Chapter no later than the time the purchaser makes an offer to purchase, exchange, or option the property, or exercises the option to purchase the property pursuant to a lease with an option to purchase. The residential property disclosure statement, the mineral and oil and gas rights mandatory disclosure statement, or the owners' association and mandatory covenants disclosure statement may be included in the real estate contract, in an addendum, or in a separate document.

(b) If the disclosure statements required by this Chapter are not delivered to the purchaser prior to or at the time the purchaser makes an offer, the purchaser may cancel any resulting real estate contract. The purchaser's right to cancel shall expire if not exercised prior to the following, whichever occurs first:

(1) The end of the third calendar day following the purchaser's receipt of the disclosure statement;

(2) The end of the third calendar day following the date the contract was made;

(3) Settlement or occupancy by the purchaser in the case of a sale or exchange; or

(4) Settlement in the case of a purchase pursuant to a lease with option to purchase.

Any right of the purchaser to cancel the contract provided by this subsection is waived conclusively if not exercised in the manner required by this subsection.

In order to cancel a real estate contract when permitted by this section, the purchaser shall, within the time required above, give written notice to the owner or the owner's agent either by hand delivery or by depositing into the United States mail, postage prepaid, and properly addressed to the owner or the owner's agent. If the purchaser cancels a real estate contract in compliance with this subsection, the cancellation shall be without penalty to the purchaser, and the purchaser shall be entitled to a refund of any deposit the purchaser may have paid. Any rights of the purchaser to cancel or terminate the contract for reasons other than those set forth in this subsection are not affected by this subsection. (1995, c. 476, s. 1; 1997-472, s. 2; 2011-362, s. 3(c); 2014-120, s. 49(a).)

§ 47E-6. Owner liability for disclosure of information provided by others.

With the exception of the disclosures required by G.S. 47E-4.1, the owner may discharge the duty to disclose imposed by this Chapter by providing a written report attached to the residential property disclosure statement and the owners' association and mandatory covenants disclosure statement by a public agency or by an attorney, engineer, land surveyor, geologist, pest control operator, contractor, home inspector or other expert, dealing with matters within the scope of the public agency's functions or the expert's license or expertise. The owner shall not be liable for any error, inaccuracy, or omission of any information delivered pursuant to this section if the error, inaccuracy, or omission was made in reasonable reliance upon the information provided by the public agency or expert and the owner was not grossly negligent in obtaining the information or transmitting it. (1995, c. 476, s. 1; 1997-472, s. 3; 2011-362, s. 3(d); 2014-120, s. 49(a).)

§ 47E-7. Change in circumstances.

If, subsequent to the owner's delivery of a residential property disclosure statement, the mineral and oil and gas rights mandatory disclosure statement, or the owners' association and mandatory covenants disclosure statement to a purchaser, the owner discovers a material inaccuracy in a disclosure statement, or a disclosure statement is rendered inaccurate in a material way by the occurrence of some event or circumstance, the owner shall promptly correct the inaccuracy by delivering a corrected disclosure statement or statements to the purchaser. Failure to deliver a corrected disclosure statement or to make the repairs made necessary by the event or circumstance shall result in such remedies for the buyer as are provided for by law in the event the sale agreement requires the property to be in substantially the same condition at closing as on the date of the offer to purchase, reasonable wear and tear excepted. (1995, c. 476, s. 1; 2011-362, s. 3(e); 2014-120, s. 49(a).)

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByChapter/Chapter_47E.html

You have a fraud action against him. Where in NC is the real property located so I can provide more information.

Your remedies http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/can-sue-home-seller-undisclosed-defects-north-carolina.html

"if I believe that I have been frauded in a real estate contract how can I sue and what court shall I sue in?"

If you can tell me where the property is located in NC I can tell you the court.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Charlotte, Mecklenburg NC
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Chapter 47G, I think this applies too.

If you wanted to go the small claims route you would be limited to $5,000 this link sets out the process http://www.ncconsumerlaw.com/resources/small-claims-court/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks. the link hits right on this same statute. Even if the contract provides for me to get all of my money back, will the small claims court still limit to $5K?

"Chapter 47G.

Option to Purchase Contracts Executed With Lease Agreements.

§ 47G-1. Definitions.

The following definitions apply in this Chapter:

(1) Covered lease agreement or lease agreement. - A residential lease agreement that is combined with, or is executed concurrently with, an option contract.

(2) Cure the default. - To perform the obligations under the lease agreement and/or option contract that are described in the notice of default and intent to forfeit required by G.S. 47G-5 and that are necessary to reinstate the lease agreement and/or the option contract. This term is synonymous with the term "cure."

(3) Forfeiture. - The termination of an option purchaser's rights to exercise an option to purchase property that is the subject of the option contract, and those rights of persons or entities claiming by or through an option purchaser, to the extent permitted by this Chapter, because of a breach of one or more of the purchaser's obligations under the option contract and/or covered lease agreement.

(4) Option contract or contract. - An option contract for the purchase of single-family residential real property that includes or is combined with, or is executed in conjunction with, a covered lease agreement.

(5) Option fee. - Any payment, however denominated, made by the option purchaser to the option seller that constitutes the price the option purchaser pays for the right to buy the property at a specified price in the future.

(6) Option purchaser or purchaser. - An individual who purchases an interest in property under an option contract, or any legal successor in interest to that individual.

(7) Option seller or seller. - A person or entity that makes a sale of an option by means of an option contract, or the person's or entity's successor in interest. If an option contract is subsequently assigned or sold to a third party, the assignor shall be deemed to be an option seller or seller for purposes of this Chapter.

(8) Property. - Real property located in this State, upon which there is located or there is to be located a structure or structures designed principally for occupancy of from one to four families that is or will be occupied by the purchaser as the purchaser's principal dwelling. (2010-164, s. 3; 2015-178, s. 3.)

§ 47G-2. Minimum contents of option contracts; recordation.

(a) Writing Required. - Every option contract, including any assignment of an option contract, shall be evidenced by a contract signed and acknowledged by all parties to it and containing all the terms to which they have agreed. The seller shall deliver to the purchaser an exact copy of the contract, containing all the disclosures required by subsection (b) of this section, at the time the purchaser signs the contract.

(b) Contents. - An option contract shall contain at least all of the following:

(1) The full names and addresses of all the parties to the contract.

(2) The date the contract is signed by each party.

(3) A legal description of the property to be conveyed subject to an option to purchase.

(4) The sales price of the property to be conveyed subject to an option to purchase.

(5) The option fee and any other fees or payments to be paid by each party to the contract.

(6) All of the obligations that if breached by the purchaser will result in forfeiture of the option.

(7) The time period during which the purchaser must exercise the option.

(8) A statement of the rights of the purchaser to cure a default, including that the purchaser has the right to cure a default once in any 12-month period during the period of the covered lease agreement.

(9) A conspicuous statement, in not less than 14-point boldface type, immediately above the purchaser's signature, that the purchaser has the right to cancel the contract at anytime until midnight of the third business day following execution of the option contract or delivery of the contract, whichever occurs last.

(c) Right to Cancel. - The purchaser may exercise the right to cancel the option contract until midnight of the third business day following execution of the option contract or delivery of a copy of the option contract, with the required minimum disclosures, whichever occurs last. If the purchaser cancels the option contract, the seller shall, not later than the tenth day after the date the seller receives the purchaser's notice of cancellation, return to the purchaser any and all property exchanged or payments made by the purchaser under the option contract minus an offset of an amount equal to the fair rental value of the use of the property during the duration of the purchaser's possession of the property plus an amount necessary to compensate the seller for any damages caused to the property by the purchaser beyond normal wear and tear.

(d) Recordation. - Within five business days after the option contract has been signed and acknowledged by both the seller and the purchaser, the seller shall cause a copy of the option contract or a memorandum of the option contract to be recorded in the office of the register of deeds in the county in which the property is located. If a memorandum of the contract is recorded, it shall be entitled "Memorandum of Option Contract" and shall contain, as a minimum, the names of the parties, the signatures of the parties, a description of the property, and applicable time periods as described in subdivisions (b)(7) and (8) of this section. A person other than a seller and purchaser may rely on the recorded materials in determining whether the requirements of this subsection have been met. The seller shall pay the fee to record the document unless the parties agree otherwise.

(e) Effect of Forfeiture. - Upon default and forfeiture after proper notice of default and intent to forfeit and failure of the purchaser to substantially cure the default, the purchaser's equitable right of redemption shall be extinguished by:

(1) A mutual termination executed by the parties and recorded in the office of the register of deeds of the county in which the property is located, or

(2) A final judgment or court order entered by a court of competent jurisdiction that terminates the purchaser's rights to the property and extinguishes the equity of redemption. A certified copy of the order shall be recorded in the office of the register of deeds of the county in which the property is located pursuant to G.S. 1-228.

(f) Instrument Ineffective. - No instrument purporting to extinguish the equity of redemption that is executed as a condition of the transaction or prior to a default will be effective. (2010-164, s. 3; 2015-178, s. 3.)

§ 47G-3. Application of Landlord Tenant Law.

Unless otherwise provided for by this Chapter, the provisions of Chapter 42 of the General Statutes apply to covered lease agreements. (2010-164, s. 3; 2015-178, s. 3.)

§ 47G-4. Condition of forfeiture; right to cure.

A purchaser's right to exercise an option to purchase property under an option contract cannot be forfeited unless a breach has occurred in one or more of the purchaser's express obligations under the option contract and the option contract provides that as a result of such breach the seller is entitled to forfeit the contract. Notwithstanding any option contract or covered lease agreement provisions to the contrary, the purchaser's rights shall not be forfeited until the purchaser has been notified of the intent to forfeit in accordance with G.S. 47G-5 and been given a right to cure the default and has failed to do so within the time period allowed. The option purchaser is entitled to the right to cure a default once in every 12-month period during the period of the covered lease agreement. (2010-164, s. 3.)

§ 47G-5. Notice of default and intent to forfeit.

(a) A notice of default and intent to forfeit shall specify the nature of the default, the amount of the default if the default is in the payment terms, the date after which the contract will be forfeited if the purchaser does not cure the default, and the name and address of the seller or the attorney for the seller. The period specified in the notice after which the contract will be forfeited may not be less than 30 days after the notice of default and intent to forfeit is served, or before judgment is given in any action brought to recover the possession of the leased premises pursuant to Article 3 of Chapter 42 of the General Statutes, whichever is earlier. A judgment rendered in an action to recover possession of the premises shall not prejudice either party in a subsequent action to recover monetary damages or other remedies.

(b) Any notice of default and intent to forfeit must be delivered to the option purchaser by hand delivery or by any manner authorized by G.S. 1A-1, Rule 4. (2010-164, s. 3; 2015-178, s. 3.)

§ 47G-6. Effect of seller's default on loan secured by mortgage or lien on property.

If, at any time prior to the expiration of the time period in which the option purchaser has a right to exercise the option to purchase, a default occurs on a loan secured by a mortgage, security interest, or other lien on the property, the option purchaser may elect to exercise the option or cancel and rescind the contract and, in addition to any other remedies available at law or equity, seek the immediate return of all moneys paid by the option purchaser. If the purchaser elects to rescind the contract, the seller is entitled to an offset of an amount equal to the fair rental value of the use of the property during the duration of the purchaser's possession of the property plus an amount necessary to compensate the seller for any damages caused to the property by the purchaser beyond normal wear and tear. (2010-164, s. 3.)

§ 47G-7. Remedies.

(a) An option purchaser may bring an action for the recovery of damages, to void a transaction executed in violation of this Chapter, as well as for declaratory or equitable relief for a violation of this Chapter. The rights and remedies provided herein are cumulative to, and not a limitation of, any other rights and remedies provided by law or equity. Nothing in this Chapter shall be construed to subject an individual homeowner selling his or her primary residence directly to an option purchaser to liability under G.S. 75-1.1.

(b) In the event of default by the option purchaser under the terms of the lease agreement, the option seller may initiate a summary ejectment action to recover damages and possession of the leased premises pursuant to Article 3 of Chapter 42 of the General Statutes. The magistrate shall retain jurisdiction over the summary ejectment proceeding.

(c) The option purchaser may counterclaim for damages in any summary ejectment proceeding. In accordance with G.S. 7A-219 of the General Statutes, no counterclaim which would make the amount in controversy exceed the jurisdictional limits shall be permitted. If a counterclaim in a summary ejectment proceeding is barred pursuant to G.S. 7A-219, the option purchaser shall not be estopped from asserting that claim in a separate action. (2010-164, s. 3; 2015-178, s. 3.)" http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bychapter/chapter_47g.html

Small claims is limited to $5,000.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok. My last question is can I hold my monthly payment with an attorney until these matters are resolved?

The initial link I provided was with regard to the disclosure requirements. Your situation is

Chapter 47G.

Option to Purchase Contracts Executed With Lease Agreement

As far as you withholding a payment let me provide when that is permitted under the law. If you want an Attorney to hold money in an escrow both parties would need to agree.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok. I will proceed with the info you have given to me. I really appreciate it. I will go to the Mecklenburg court house so that I can begin with this lawsuit. How do I identify you if I should pay additional for this service?

thanks. the link hits right on this same statute. Even if the contract provides for me to get all of my money back, will the small claims court still limit to $5K? No

Small claims changed their limits in 2013

"Increases on Limits on Amounts in Controversy in State Court: Superior Courts will hear claims above $25,000; District Courts will hear claims from $10,000 to $25,000; and small claims courts will hear claim from $5,000 to $10,000"

This is the link for the court http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/courts/Pages/default.aspx

"ok. I will proceed with the info you have given to me. I really appreciate it. I will go to the Mecklenburg court house so that I can begin with this lawsuit. How do I identify you if I should pay additional for this service?"

You can request me. I am Attorney2.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey. From what you posted as applicable statute, when there is a lease agreement and a lease option agreement, which applies?

I was merely providing the Seller'S Disclosure Act under 47E

Your case is under 47G

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively.

Thank you for your consideration. Please me know if you were unhappy with my service and I will opt out for another Attorney to assist you.

Thank you for using JA!

We appreciate your business.

G.S. 47E-2(10) is the exception to the Seller Disclosure Act.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am very happy with your service. I will provide a positive rating.

Exemptions.

"(2) Lease with option to purchase contracts where the lessee occupies or intends to occupy the dwelling"

You were not occupying the property when you entered into the contract.

Thank you for using JA! If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.