Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I put in a walk-in bathtub. It's past the 3 days I had to

Customer Question

I put in a walk-in bathtub. It's past the 3 days I had to cancel the contract. It does have a clause on the back of the contract for cancellations after 3 days. Due to the long time it takes to fill, the need for a larger water heater, I haven't been able to use the jets or air pumps, and the jets I read are prone to mold and mildew which as a immune suppressed person I want to avoid so I'd like to cancel the contract. On the back of the contract it mentions Cancellations being 25% of the total sales price. I talked the construction boss & he said he didn't know if I could do that.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: in Vadnais Heights, MN***** 55127 I live in a townhouse/condo
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I have a signed copy of the sales agreement. I don't know if paperwork has been filed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: K-Designer in Burnsville supplied the walk-in tub and it was installed by Benjamin plumbing.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What is your question? How can I help you?

Doug

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, Please answer my question of is there anything I can do about the question I've already posted on Justanswer .com. I was told I'd receive an answer, not another person asking me the same question I've already asked.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.

Doug

Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello, different expert here...

.'

Unfortunately the answer is no, you can't cancel the contract because it has been completed once the tub was installed. If it was in the process and hadn't been installed yet, you could have cancelled and paid the fee. But once the tub was put in, it is yours and you can't change your mind and have them come uninstall the tub and refund your money. If there were problems with the unit itself, you would have a claim against the manufacturer under any warranty. But if it needs more hot water than you have and it might possibly get mold in it if it wasn't cleaned properly, those are issues that would have needed to be resolved before it was actually installed.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

..

.

thanks