RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I dont have a lease on the property i rent. If Im asked to

Customer Question

I dont have a lease on the property i rent. If Im asked to leave how long do I have?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Maine
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Been here 23 years always paid rent!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Under the law, a landlord still has to give you 30 days written notice to vacate, even as month to month tenant. If you don't leave after that, they would have to file a formal eviction and get a court order to make you leave. An eviction usually takes a few weeks to complete from start to finish.

Was there anything I could clarify about my response or additional information you needed?

I, like the other Experts on this site, am here to assist customers like you. However, we do so in anticipation of being paid for our efforts, just like other professionals do, since this is our livelihood and not a hobby. To that end, I am more than happy to clarify my answer to you and answer any related follow up questions that you might have. In return, I ask that you show good faith in compliance with the Terms of Service by accepting my answer, whether the news is good or bad, so that I will be paid for my efforts. Thank you!