Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

If my mother in law goes in nursing home will her house

Customer Question

If my mother in law goes in nursing home will her house automatically go to them? Or s there a trust of some kid. We have lived with her ever since the house was built. I am not able to get around as I have arthritis in my body. The house is okay for my handicap.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Does she have any assets to pay for her care?

.

Or would she be relying on Medicaid to pay for any long term care?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No she doesn't have assets except her retirement check and social security and Medicare and health insurance.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will talk to you later. I have to add money to my debit card

Ok, then Medicaid will put a lien on the house for any benefits that they pay out for her, but won't foreclose on that lien until she passes away to force a sale of the house to be reimbursed for the benefits.

.

It typically takes about 6 months after the death of the benefit recipient before they move to foreclose on the house and force a sale..

.

.

thanks