ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

I just had some questions about a rental property Assistant:

Customer Question

Hi i just had some questions about a rental property
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ok my grandma has a rental poperty that the renters did not pay for 7 months while my uncle was suppose to be collecting rent.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. CAn you tell me what your question is?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
After kicking the tenants out they destroyed the house being about 5000-7000$ worth of damage. After talking to different people we have decided that hiring a lawyer might not be worth it, for the fact they are not finically stable
Instead of filling a large claim I was wondering if i can file two small claims of 5000$ each
One for the damages and two for the un paid rent

Can you tell me what state this is in?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Florida
and also the second question is could and how can i represent my grandmother in this case

Thank you. First of all, there are two separate claims here, in that one is for the rent and one is for the damage, so you could have two separate small claims cases. You'd have to have two to get over the $5,000 limit.

As far as representing your grandmother, the ONLY way you can do this is if you're a lawyer. That is, only an attorney at law is allowed to represent someone else in court. If your grandmother is incompetent, you can hire a lawyer on her behalf. If she's able to act, then she'd need to do this. But even someone who is an appointed guardian can't represent someone else in court, even a small claims court. Now you can assist her, help her with the paperwork, filing, etc... but she'd still have to be the one in court presenting the case to the judge.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (OVER 1 HOUR) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.