Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I purchased a foreclosed property in March of 2016 at an…

My name is***** purchased...

My name is***** purchased a foreclosed property in March of 2016 at an online auction. The title was reported clear. We did a closing via online. The deed that was to be transferred in my name I never received. So I reached out to the title company. After months of waiting I decided to go to the city of Baltimore and see if I could do it myself. I have a Special Warranty Deed but I am missing a prepared by page. The property has now been badly vandalized, set on fire, and even structural damage to the third floor rear brick wall has caved in. Could I sue for the damages that has occurred to the property because with no deed I couldn't even put insurance on the property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

The city and state is Baltimore MD. What paperwork are you talking about.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/8/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You can sue the title company for damages if the title company is responsible for preparing and recording the deed, but failed to do so.

You would need an Attorney who handles real estate litigation to assist you with the case.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Consumeradvocates.org

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think it is winnable

It is winnable if the entity who was supposed to register the deed did not do it promptly and as a result you were unable to insure the property. The property in the interim sustained damages that could have been covered by insurance, but they are not because the deed was not recorded and you are now responsible for the costs.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law